The history of the Big Canoe Lutheran Church dates back to 1851 when the first non-Indians began settlement in the Decorah area. The land was almost entirely forest. The first Norwegian settlers were from Voss, Hallingdal and Numedal, in west central Norway. At one time, Highland Township, just north of the Big Canoe Church was 100 percent Norwegian. (Read more)


The earliest records available regarding the formation of the Highland congregation appear in minutes of the Big Canoe Parish of June 23, 1894. At that meeting consideration was given to a request from representatives of District 7, -- the Kjome District, -- and from the West Waterloo Ridge congregation. (Read more)

Website donated by KNEI 103.5, KVIK 104.7, KFXE 1160 AM